Engineering Community Wellness and Mental Health
There are many resources available to undergraduate and graduate students to help with mental health care, advising, and specific areas and topics. This community cares about you, we are happy you are here in Engineering and we want you to be healthy and know you have support!
Immediate Contacts and Resources
● If in a life threatening situation or need immediate medical assistance, call EMS at 401-863-4111 or 911.
● If you are feeling suicidal, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or use this online chat.
● If you need urgent mental health care, you can call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 401-863- 3476.
● If you are feeling unwell, call Health Services at 401-863- 3953.
● If you need support in the aftermath of a sexual assault, call 401-863- 6000.
● If you need accommodations for an assignment, you can email a dean. You can also call (401) 863-3145 for the “Dean of the Day.”
● If you need general accommodations, you can call Student and Employee Accessibility Services at 401-863- 9588 or email email@example.com.
● If you urgently need to talk to someone or think through an issue, you can call the “Dean of the Day” at (401) 863-3145. You can also call this number to make an appointment for any non-urgent need.
● If you need guidance on healthy eating habits or general health advice, you can contact the Brown BWell Nutritionist at 401-863- 2794 or use this form.
● If you need to evaluate your mental health, use this anonymous tool.
Students may also reference these trusted resources to assist in maintaining your mental wellness during university breaks, over the summer and holidays:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
National Alliance on Mental Illness Resources: Call 1-800-950-NAMI, Text "NAMI" to 741741
JED Foundation: Call 1-800-273-8355, Text “START” to 741-741
The Steve Fund: Text “STEVE” to 741741
The Trevor Project: Call 1-866-488-7386, Text “START” to 678-678, Chat at: trevorproject.org
Trans Lifeline: Call 877-565-8860
We also encourage you to take periodic breaks from your work. Reserve our Wellness Room, ERC 203. It's a single-use quiet room with adjustable lighting and a comfortable chair to relax in, meditate, practice deep breathing - any method to help you destress, regenerate, and feel refreshed.
Compiled in collaboration with students Sachin Pendse ‘17, Grant Fong ‘19, and Karen Tu ‘20